3 Divisions. 2 Weeks. 1 Winner.
For 9 years, the 2WK Competition has inspired filmmakers of all ages by connecting them with A list Hollywood Screenwriters and Directors. The competition is divided into three divisions: Open, College, and Young Filmmakers (high school and younger). Each division is assigned a unique, specifically written line (written by Hollywood writers and directors) and then has two weeks to make a short film which creatively utilizes the line. We encourage all levels of participation (from novice to professional) because....we're a school. That's what we do.
This competition is truly one of a kind.
The required submission format is 1080p HD H.264.
Total Run Time
Production may not run shorter than 3 minutes or longer than 5 minutes including opening titles and closing credits.
Use a movie rating of PG-13 as your guideline when considering language, elements of humor, violence, references to sexual activity, etc. You can get as racy as you want, but your chances of winning will suffer if the judges feel your submission is inappropriate or unsuitable for screening to a general audience as part of the festival.
In order for your production to qualify, you must have written clearances and/or releases for all actors, extras, passersby, etc. If you choose to use music, you must certify in writing that it falls under Lander's ASCAP, BMI and SESAC license (check the ASCAP, BMI and SESAC websites) or that it is original music for which you have signed permissions to use. This also applies to footage of locations, storefronts, etc. Any person or place for which you do not have a signed release must be "pixeled" out of the final production.
A likeness waiver can be downloaded here.
Entrants will have two weeks for production. Late entries will not be accepted. Each entry will be judged upon:
- Originality: The writing, acting, directing and editing will be judged on the originality and creativity they exhibit.
- Storytelling: Entries will be judged on their use of structure to communicate the story to an uninitiated audience. Is the message intent of the film clear on the first viewing?
- Use of Line: This line must be spoken (no music videos) and should be used creatively to tell your story. You are required to include the line and name of the screenwriter in your credits.
- Production Values: The proper use of lighting, sound, music, visual and sound effects to enhance an audience's viewing experience.
(1) Applications for the Lander Film Festival Short Film Competition will be received through March 26, 2018. Due to a limited number of slots available for the Short Film Competition, applications received after this date will not be accepted. The festival reserves the right to extend the deadline for submissions.
(2) There are no thematic limitations for submitted short films but applicants should use a PG-13 rating as a guideline.
(3) Applicants are required to use their own cameras and editing equipment.
(4) The running time for an entered short film must be no less than three minutes and no more than five minutes.
(5) Films that have participated in other competitions cannot compete in this competition.
(6) Films must be shot and edited from Monday, March 12 to Monday, March 26. The completed short film must be uploaded or returned in H.246 format to Paul Crutcher (Lander University Carnell Learning Center Room 120) submitted no later than Monday, March 26 at 5 p.m. to be eligible for competition.
(7) Each applicant may submit only one film.
(8) Applications can be obtained on the Film Festival website, www.landerfilmfestival.com, from the Lander University Department of Mass Communications and Media Studies or via festival director Paul Crutcher, firstname.lastname@example.org, 864-388-8206.
- The application package must include a completed and signed Competition Entry/Application Form.
(9) The Selection Committee will review the applications. A limited number of slots are available. The announcement of finalists in the competition will be made by the festival director who will contact each applicant by e-mail or telephone. Submitted applications will not be returned to the applicants.
(10) Those applicants selected for the competition will be given specific lines of dialogue that MUST be included in the finished, edited film. This material will be provided to the selected contestants on Monday, March 12 at the Short Film Competition Kickoff meeting held at 5 p.m. in Lander’s Carnell Learning Center Room 200. Applicants unable to attend this initial meeting may attend through a live stream on the Lander University Film Festival Facebook page.
(11) The Festival Judges will decide and award the following (subject to change):
- First through Third Place, College Division
- First through Third Place, Open Division
- First through Third Place, Young Filmmakers Division
- Other awards may include a Writer's Choice Award and a Director's Choice Award
(12) Winning entries of the Short Film Competition may be re-screened or shown on the Lander website, LUX newscasts and other media produced by the Lander University and the Department of Mass Communications and Media Studies without additional approval of the winning contestants.
(13) The members of the Short Film Competition jury will be appointed by the festival director and will consist of three to five members.
(14) By entering a film, applicants signify their willingness to abide by these regulations. Any issues not clarified by these regulations shall be adjudicated by the festival administration.
(15) Applicants must be 18 years of age to enter. Application for minors must be completed by Parent or Legal Guardian.
Payment, Application, and Final cut must be submitted by March 26, 2018.
Entry Fees :
Open Division: $25
College Division: $10
Young Film-Makers: $10
We accept check or credit card through The Lander Foundation.
Make checks payable to The Lander Foundation; a copy of your application must be included with the check.
Send checks to :
Lander University Media Department CPO 6009
320 Stanley Ave.
Greenwood, SC 29649